Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Better to Have Loved (poem)

Better to Have Loved

To love someone,
Waiting at the door,
Nervously meeting parents,
Afraid to take his hand for the first time

He points to childhood memories
As we drive by

There is no singular rush of passion
Met by a casual “see you later”

There are last glances before rounding the corner
There is the ticket on my wall
From the day I met you

There are no samplers standing
With doors and sheets open wide

And there are no painless goodbyes

Yes, I wish I didn’t feel sometimes
I grit my teeth, wipe my eyes, and tell myself
It’s worth it
It was worth it

At least I loved, even if I lost
Even if you won

~January, 2017

This poem actually came about after reading Brave New World and having the assignment to write poems about the book. This isn't really about the book, more real life, but it did help inspire it. Maybe I'll post the other ones that actually reference the story sometime (hint hint, if that interests anyone, let me know in the comments).

“But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin.” ― Aldous Huxley, Brave New World

No comments:

Post a Comment