Wednesday, August 16, 2017

First Impressions (poem) + Small Update

First Impressions

baby face, short hair, grains of stubble emerging to create
what I imagine to be a sand papery texture
on your cheeks, and jaw, and chin

I do not find out for myself

a rush of pigment, red as the tomatoes I asked the waitress to keep
off of my sandwich, rises between skin and cheekbone and I feel
that I should be enjoying myself

so that’s what I do

it’s been such a long time since the first time
I played this game of does it work or not
like testing new shoes in the store, analyzing the way

I feel, scared I’m overlooking flaws in

all the excitement
of something new


~6/25/17

For anyone interested, yes, the time has come. I'm going to college. Yikes. I'll be trying to post regularly--and I do have some actual posts on the way that aren't just poems--but we'll see what happens. Everyone's telling me that I won't have time to even breathe. Again, yikes. Maybe I'll even talk about it on here, but, personally, I don't think that I'm interesting enough to be talking about myself. Additionally, I hope to be regularly posting to my YouTube channel, but I'll be in the same situation...... plus the fact that filming will probably be extremely awkward in college. Oh boy. Anyway, as usual, thank you so so much for reading and please feel free to say hello, let me know what you think, or add suggestions in the comments section! 

"The world is changed by your example not by your opinion."--Paulo Coelho

1 comment:

  1. I love the lines about tomato on the sandwich and trying on new shoes. Very relatable and quirky additions to the poem! :) Good luck at college!

    ReplyDelete